Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Munchies

I'm really craving something to munch on right now. I think that's the hardest thing for me to overcome, my sudden cravings for snack foods that are absolutely horrible for me. I've had two mini kit-kats already. I'm avoiding eating a third by typing this out. I have fruit salad in the fridge, but it's not a snack-y food. Maybe I should try to find some healthy trail mix? I've been trying to find these Gobi Berries I've been reading about, but my grocery stores don't seem to carry them. I may have to make a trip to Trader Joe's or a whole foods store to get them. They're supposed to be super good for you and a good snack. I wonder if they taste like cranberries...hm...I'm going to have to find out.

I tried Quinoa the other day. Not so great. It came highly recommend for it's fiber and protein content, but not so tasty. It smells and tastes like dirt almost. Like if you were to smell a bale hay. You're supposed to wash it before you cook it, and then pour the granules in to boiling water, but the things are so dang tiny that I can't figure out a way to soak/wash them, and then get them in to the boiling water without pouring the wash water in too. Which kind of defeats the purpose of washing them. There is no colander or strainer with small enough holes that these things won't just flow through, so I'm at a loss. How do I wash them so that dirt taste/smell goes away but also so I don't lose half of them in the process?! It's a conundrum.

Right now I'm sticking with my Slim-Fast breakfast, soup for lunch and 250 cal TV dinner for dinner. All in all, my daily calorie intake is somewhere around 1200. So far it's working, but when I get in this snacking mind-set, it's so easy to go over that! Okay, getting my mind off the subject. I'm not really hungry, I'm just thinking about food which is making me "think" I'm hungry. More water for me...

4 comments:

Lars said...

Drink more fluids... It will definitely help you with the cravings for snacks. Usually when you think you are hungry, you are actually thirsty.

I found these to clean the Quinoa:
http://www.target.com/Polder-Stainless-Steel-Footed-Strainer/dp/B000I9OF0Y/sr=1-61/qid=1252525365/ref=sr_1_61/186-5563466-5384820?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&rh=k%3Astrainer&page=1

http://www.target.com/KitchenAid-7-Strainer-Red/dp/B000IWYZ06/sr=1-5/qid=1252525365/ref=sr_1_5/186-5563466-5384820?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&pricerange=&rh=k%3Astrainer&page=1

I'm pretty sure the granules won't fall through those holes.

Miss you guys... One more month!!!

ChaChaneen said...

I wonder if a paper type coffee filter would work. You know place it in a slightly larger mesh strainer and that would allow the liquid to drain thru while keeping the grainules in.

ChaChaneen said...

Hi there, Just a quick note to tell ya that I've added more music to my blog list that I think you'll like. It's more of the instrumental relaxing stuff! Have fun tonight too by the way! Yahoo!

prashant said...

I'm pretty sure the granules won't fall through those holes.


Work from home India

ShareThis